Friday 15 January 2010

Development of my logo

Before choosing the final logo for the front cover of my magazine I decided to chose some of my potential logos I found off the website http://www.dafont.com/. I will be looking at them and discussing what makes the logo suitable for my magazine front cover and also why it may not be the perfect choice.
This is the first logo I found. On first looking at it there are a lot of positive things I can say about it and why I think it would be effective to my front cover.

After analysing the logo's of NME and Q etc I feel this logo is different to other logo's on the current market, therefore it is memberable compared to just a simple font used like the other magazine logo's, this is detailed and and is visually appealing. It is also individual- it stands out from the rest. This corresponds with the feel I want readers to get from my magazine- it is individual and different to others. This further backs up the 'indie' image of my magazine as the term 'indie' comes from 'individual'. This font is actually called 'ringmaster' and this and the way it actually looks gives connotations of a circus suggesting my magazine is going to be similarly fun, wild and entertaining which is definitely a view I would want my target audience to have about my magazine.

Although there are a lot of positive points to this logo, I also need to look at the negative side and why it may not be the best logo to use for my magazine front cover.

Although I saw the heavy detailing of the font to be a positive thing, for the front of a magazine it may be too 'busy' and draw attention away from other images or text on the magazine front cover. Despite the fact this logo has all the right connotations I want to be associated with my magazine, I feel it doesn't fit in with the genre of my magazine as it is based around Indie music and I feel that this type of font may be linked with a more pop, upbeat genre. After analysing other magazine logo's, I have come to the conclusion that this logo doesn't follow the typical codes and conventions of a magazine as I haven't come across any other logo with this exccesive detail. Overall, I don't think this logo is right for my magazine.



On a first glance this logo seems very relevant to the type of magazine I will be creating but once again I need to weigh up the positives and the negatives. Aspects of this logo such as the skulls used would successful follow the theme of my magazine as these symbols often represent the indie genre. With the bold outline of the actual lettering but the softer pattern around it makes it different to other magazine logos which I have analysed. This will result to the logo standing out from other current magazines on the market and it may also suggest that this magazine can offer something different to its readers and that it knows exactly what you want. This logo is also very artistic and this brings connotations of artists which can be directly related to musicians. It suggest that if you purchase this magazine you will be reading about artistic and talented people, as opposed to being a basic font, which may mean that there is something new for discovery.

Although there are many positives to using this particular font and it is different to other magazine logo's, after analysing other logos it doesn't follow the typical codes and conventions of a magazine. This may seen as ambitious for the first edition of a new magazine and may not be accepted as established. Another negative point is that the actual lettering may not be bold enough and it may not be obvious as to what the magazine is called but on the other hand, as it includes heavy detailing it may draw too much attention away from the main image and may make the front cover seem cluttered and unproffessional.

I next decided on a more basic design for my logo. This particular style has many aspects which appeal to me for my logo. The lettering is very clear and it makes the name of the magazine very obvious. There is no fussy detailing and gets straight to the point. This may appeal to my target audience as it suggests that the magazine too is straight to the point and honest. It fulfills its intended purpose effectively and it gives off the impression that it is reliable and not unfamiliar. It also follows the typical codes and conventions of a magazine logo as it is basic, bold and simplistic which I have discovered when studying other magazine logos. Although it is a basic design, I still feel it is attractive to look at.

After I carried out my research of other magazine logos, I feel this logo is too similar to other music magazines on the current market and may confuse potential costumers. This also contradicts the message I want my magazine to portray, this logo does not represent indivuduality if it is similar to other logos. This doesn't follow the idea of my magazine being aimed at indie people or indie music as, as mentioned earlier, the word indie originates from the term individual. I also feel this design is too basic and won't prokove feelings of excitement in potential costumers.

This is the logo that I decided was best for the front cover of my magazine, it is clearly distinct from other magazine logos I have previously looked at. This would also make it very obvious to the audience which magazine they will purchasing and there wouldn't be the confusion which I discovered may occur with the previous logo.

With the 'cracked glass' effect of the logo, this brings connotations rebellion, individuality and 'breaking the rules'. This will appeal to my target audience as they don't want to invest in something that is going to be the same as what everyone else is buying into. They want to be different and they don't want to follow the rules, they make their own rules. This logo can be symbolic from them breaking free from the guidlines society expects them to follow. This also corresponds with the genre of the magazine as these are beliefs that 'indie' people would follow.

Although this magazine logo is significantly different to other magazine logos I have looked at, I don't feel it challenges the typical codes and conventions of a magazine logo too much. It isn't too ambitious for the first edition of a magazine and I feel the target audience would appreciate the fact it is very slightly challenging the codes and conventions and buy into it.

The font of the logo is simple but the slight 'cracked' detailing makes it eye-catching but not so much that it takes attention from the main images or other sub-headings. The simple use of black and white colouring means this logo will effectively match any other colour schemes which may be used in other issues. If I used a light background in another issue, I would simply change the colours to be a black font on a white background as opposed to the white on black as it currently is.

All of the above logos could have been used and would have had points which could be argued to be suitable to for the logo of my magazine but I do feel I have used the best logo for my final product and after weighing up other magazine logos as well, I feel it caters for a gap in the market but not so much so it will be rejected as un-realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment